Food Safety Manager
Diamond Foods is an innovative packaged food company focused on building, acquiring and energizing brands including Kettle Brand potato chips, Diamond of California culinary nuts, Emerald snack nuts, and Pop Secret popcorn. The Company’s products are distributed in a wide range of retail partners in North America as well as Europe and wholesale partners in 100 countries. The Company’s stock trades on NASDAQ under the symbol DMND.
This position ensures product food safety throughout company operations (internal and external) by maintaining and improving food safety systems as well as providing leadership and instruction in the implementation of programs, policies, and objectives to ensure corporate quality, food safety, culture, volume, service, and cost goals are met. This position manages Food Safety team members and reports to the Director of Quality and Food Safety.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Improve and manage food safety systems to ensure product food safety including specifications, preventive controls, and test methods.
- Develop and maintain food safety systems including GFSI, HACCP, Internal Audits, Recall, Traceability, Environmental Monitoring, Allergen Control programs.
- Analyze data, identify opportunities, and report on trends to drive progress toward food safety metrics including Foreign Material Incidents.
- Manage new product transfer from product development and ensure robust systems in place to support new manufacturing processes and products.
- Manage food safety data and processes within Product Lifecycle Management and Laboratory Information Management programs to drive streamlining within the food safety realm.
- Deliver food safety and technical support to departments throughout the organization
- Craft and develop food safety education and training tools.
- Contribute to quality system reviews and actively participate in defining solutions.
- Analyze and report on data to communicate to Management and Departmental Teams.
- Support continuous improvement projects and cross-functional quality initiatives.
- Adhere to GMP’s, Standard Operating Procedures, and Safety Regulations consistently.
- Interface with staff regarding changes in procedures to promote consistency throughout department teams.
- Communicate with Warehouse, Production, Supply Chain, Sanitation, Maintenance, and R&D to help implement continuous improvement projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervises, trains and provides leadership to team members.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong knowledge of food safety programs, HACCP plan management, and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Excellent understanding of food safety and microbiological controls, testing, and standards.
- Robust knowledge of information management systems and processes.
- Knowledge of standards and regulatory issues related to Kosher, Organic, nutritional labeling, and food recalls.
- Knowledge of process validations and reporting requirements.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent data collection and analysis skills.
- Knowledge of food science, food processing techniques, processes, and measurements.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office products including Word, Power Point, Excel, and Access.
- Write in a technical format and articulate to a broad audience.
- Interpersonal and team skills for working with employees at all levels within the company.
- Able to accept and interpret direction competently and professionally.
- Perform tasks independently and as part of a team to accomplish goals.
- Ability to actively listen, understand, and provide assistance to others.
- Effectively manages priorities to meet dynamic deadlines.
- Self-motivated, flexible and positive in a fast-paced business environment.
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Work in an environment with medium level safety risks.
- Work unusual hours as required to accomplish job tasks.
- Periodic overnight travel to support projects.
- English language literacy, including effective oral and written communication skills.
- Physical Requirements include:
- Exposed frequently to an environment with high levels of seasoning dust and fumes, heat, humidity and moving machinery.
- Frequent sitting and repetitive motion with hands with dexterity to key board.
- Occasional standing, walking, and talking.
- Infrequent climbing, stooping, bending, reaching and turning/twisting.
- Infrequent lifting of up to 50 pounds.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science or similar field
- Minimum 4 years of progressive responsibility in food processing and/or quality assurance, or equivalent
- Supervisor and/or proven leadership experience
- Experience with 3rd party food safety audits
- Experience with GFSI standards
- HAACP Certification required
To apply please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com, or visit our website at: www.diamondfoods.com for more information.
Diamond Foods is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Pre-employment drug testing and background check required
Diamond Foods Inc. does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Diamond Foods will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Diamond Foods, Inc.